During the summer, CSA boxes are filled with squash and zucchini.
I don’t mind! Squash and zucchini are versatile and tasty.
This one-pot main dish might help you find something new to do with your next batch.
This is a process, not a written-in-stone recipe. Don’t run to the grocery to buy what you don’t have for this! Use a different cheese, a different herb. Heck! Use a thick pork chop if you don’t have chicken breasts!
Feta Chicken with Squash and Zucchini
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (patted dry, lightly seasoned, lightly pounded, and slit open to create a cavity)
- 1 c. feta cheese
- 2-4 tbsp fresh chopped oregano and/or thyme
- 1 tbsp grated onion OR 3 tbsp chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp chopped sweet pepper (I used pimiento)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 zucchini and/or squash, sliced
- ½ c. white wine
- 1 tbsp honey
- Prepare the chicken breasts: pat dry, season (I used herbs, no salt), pound, and split.
- Blend the cheese with the herbs, onion, and pepper.
- Stuff the cheese mixture in the cavity of the chicken.
- Heat oil in pan.
- Brown stuffed chicken on both sides (2-3 minutes each side)
- Add squash and zucchini, saute between the chicken for about 3 minutes.
- Add wine and stir to dissolve brown bits.
- Drizzle honey over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and lower heat.
- Simmer chicken and vegetables for about 10 minutes.
Use the juices to make a gravy or as a broth to cook rice.
You can read a little about my CSA journey here: Luckett Farms.
© Copyright Pennie Nichols. All Rights Reserved. 2016