Turnips are a low cal root vegetable, rich in vitamin C. Make turnip fries for a healthier alternative to french fries.
CSA members are sure to receive turnips in their boxes. This is what we did with our this week.
It’s simple: Toss the sliced turnips in seasoned olive oil and bake or air fry.
- 2 lbs turnips (4-5 med. turnips) cut into “french fry” sticks (about ¼ in thick)
- ½ c olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tbsp herbs (I used fresh basil)
- salt/pepper to taste (I used cayenne, no salt)
- Chop or grind garlic and seasonings and mix with olive oil.
- Toss the turnip sticks in the olive oil. Make sure they’re well coated.
- To bake
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Spread turnips sticks on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake 30 minutes. Toss/Stir after the first 15 minutes.
- Turn oven to broil and broil fries an additional 3-4 minutes for crispier fries.
- To air fry
- Preheat airfryer to 390°.
- Place turnip sticks in the basket (2-3 layers okay)
- Airfry for 10 minutes, tossing after the first 5 minutes.
- Fry an additional 1-2 minutes for crispier fries.
- To bake
We love our Luckett Farms CSA. Do you belong to a CSA? How do you use up your CSA vegetables? Follow me for more CSA recipes.
© Copyright Pennie Nichols. All Rights Reserved. 2016
Amazing! I have been on Weight Watchers for over three years; I never would have thought of using turnips like this. Pinned and tweeted.
I bet they were delicious. They sure look good. My mom mixes turnip with carrots and mashes them together with a little bit of butter. I love it! Comfort food.
They were. Thanks.